Bangkok: Not far from my hotel, between the Cooking Academy and the train station, hidden in a small alley near Sukhumvit Road, I had my first fantastic encounter with this extraordinary dish. Khao Soi is a wonderful curry that stands out for its strong aromas and deep nuances. Soy sauce, black cardamom and roasted curry paste are co-causes for this taste and according to the original cook. Cinnamon and nutmeg were considered an insider tip and are responsible for a balanced smell. However, these ingredients are more likely to be placed in the north of Thailand, where this dish also has its origins, and this curry is also native to Myanmar and Laos.
The special thing about this curry is the simple simmering process that makes the taste so intense. In the process, mainly small chicken legs are toasted, wiped off with broth and coconut milk and slowly boiled on a small flame. This makes the broth creamy and the taste perfectly concentrated.
Time is an important factor. This does not always mean the preparation time, but rather the story that this woman tells with her food. For more than twenty years, she has been standing in the same place and always preparing the same dish, day after day. Absolute passion and dedication are also regarded as the basic ingredient number 1. With a laugh on her lips and her warm manner, she was able to convince me quickly: “Honest food just tastes better!”
Khao Soi Curry certainly lives on the small peculiarities. Baked noodles, roasted chilli flakes and crisp vegetables make this curry not only an aroma experience but also a game of textures. It is not uncommon for pickled mustard cabbage to be found in this dish. It gives the curry a pleasant acidity. This can be bought online or made by yourself, but it does not occur in this recipe.
Here’s my recipe, inspired by a nice lady from Chiang Mai who served me an insane curry.
Amazing Khao Soi, ingredients for 2 people:
|For the Khao Soi Curry Paste:|
|3 pieces||red chilli|
|1 piece (approx. 7g)||Ginger|
|1 piece (approx. 7g)||Turmeric|
|3 pieces||Black cardamom*|
|1/2 tsp.||Muscat ground|
|1/2 tsp.||Cinnamon ground|
|For the curry:|
|400 ml||100ml Chicken broth|
|2 tbsp||Soy sauce|
|1 tbls.||Peanut butter roasted|
|2 pieces||Spring onion|
|1 piece||red chilli|
|2 tbsp||Chili flakes|
|300ml||Oil for frying|
|1oog||Instant noodles (for frying)|
|200g||Egg noodles |
Recipe : Yakisoba
Amazing Khao Soi, preparation:
- For the curry paste, core the red chilli. Peel and slice the ginger, turmeric, garlic and shallot.
- Place a frying pan without fat and roast ginger, garlic, shallot, corianders aate and cardamom at medium temperature. Once the ingredients take colour, add cinnamon and nutmeg and toast briefly.
- Allow the ingredients to cool, add the turmeric and process into a fine paste in a mortar or food processor.
- Now heat a pot or wok with a little oil and sweat the curry paste briefly. Now add the chicken and toast with it. Make sure that the paste does not burn. Salt a little and quench with the chicken broth. Then add the coconut milk soy sauce and peanut butter and simmer on a medium level for about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place a pot of water and salt. When the water is boiling, simmer the instant noodles for 30 seconds, (they are better suited for frying) remove with a foam trowel and drain. Then cook the egg noodles according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil. Bake the instant noodles for 2-3 minutes until nicely brown and crispy. Then remove and drain on a cloth.
- Then place the chilli flakes in a bowl and pour in 50 ml of the still hot fat.
- Once the chicken is soft and the curry has reached a creamy consistency, it can be prepared.
- Cut the coriander, spring onions, shallot, chilli and lime into fine strips or slices.
- Now put the egg noodles in a bowl. Pour some of the curry and chicken leg into the bowl. Add a little of the toasted chilli flakes and oil. Garnish with coriander, spring onions, shallot, chilli and lime. Add the baked noodles and serve.
Dhe marked with asterisks (*) are so-called provision links. If you click on such a link and purchase via this link, I get a commission from your purchase. For you, the price doesn’t change.