As a big fan of curries, I have to say that lately I have developed a fondness for slow braised curries. This is mainly due to the fact that the spices can develop better with the decelerated method. In addition, I like to use simmering meat, which only reaches its butter-tender texture by prolonged boiling. A similar approach can be found with indonesian beef rendang or indeed with many Indian curries, which contain braised lamb as the main component.
Most of the time, this method of preparation is seasoned with both a paste and a spice mixture, which is not typical of a classic curry. You can rather be guided by the fact that you like to work with a paste for a light curry in Southeast Asia, whereas in an Indian simmercurry you work mainly with masala (spice mixture).
Having sat on my new book for almost a year now, I can say with pleasure that I have not lost my appetite and still like to stand in the kitchen to cook and try new dishes.
And since it is still towards summer despite mediocre temperatures, today a strong simmering dish is enriched with intense citrus nuances to create a perfect balance.
Green Beef Curry ingredients for 2 people:
|500g||Beef goulash (from the club)|
|1 tsp.||Vegetable oil (for frying)|
|1 tsp.||Palm sugar|
|For the spice paste:|
|8 shares||Limonene leaves|
|2 branches||green pepper|
|1 hand||Thai Basil (Horapa)|
|For the spice mixture:|
|1 piece||Star anise|
|1/2 tsp.||Fennel seeds|
|1 tsp.||Coriander seeds|
|3 pieces||Laurel leaves|
|For the sweet potato chips:|
|1 piece||sweet potato|
|3 tbsp.||Peanut oil|
Green Beef Curry Preparation:
1. For the spice paste, peel the spice paste, lemongrass, galangal, garlic and shallots and roughly chop. Together with the lime leaves, pepper and Thai basil, crush into a paste in a mortar or stand mixer.
2. For the spice mixture, salt, cinnamon, anise, cardamom, cumin, fennel, coriander and bay leaves also crush with a mortar.
3. Roast the meat with little fat in a saucepan. After about 5 minutes, add the spice mixture and toast for another minute. Now add the sugar and spice paste and fry for 3 more minutes.
4. Peel the banana, cut into fine slices and add. Now wipe off with beef broth and coconut milk. Add the coconut flakes and cook slowly at medium temperature for 2 hours. Add water if necessary.
5. 30 minutes before the cooking time has expired, cut the sweet potato into fine slices with a planer. Mix with oil and salt and place on a baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and roast the potatoes for about 12-15 minutes. Attention- The potatoes can burn quickly.
6. After cooking, check the curry. If the meat is nicely soft, simmer the curry for another 15 minutes, so that the coconut milk and sugar caramelize, be careful that the curry does not burn. The curry also gets a little darker.
7. To arrange, place the curry in a deep plate. Add some coconut milk and spread the sweet potato chips. Finely chop some Thai basil and sprinkle over it. Who wants can serve the curry with half a lime.