At first I was a little irritated as chicken and rice managed to get the title of “National Court of Singapore”. After extensive snorting in Singapore’s Hawker Centers, I wasn’t so surprised. Even if the traditional dish “Hainanese Chicken” consists of poached or steamed chicken, the related brother “Soy chicken” does not have to hide.
Although the first visit to the Michelin-starred liaofanhawkerchan unfortunately failed to convince me at that time, the subsequent variations of this dish were really exorbitantly good. One of these experiences I experienced in the small hotel I lived in. The Roomservice card didn’t offer the widest choice, but the dishes were really sensational. Especially the “Soy Chicken” convinced me the most here.
In this dish, the focus is not only on poultry. No, a great deal of attention is also paid to rice here, as it is really cleverly staged. The secret here is probably the exuberant chicken fat, which in combination with salt serves as a fantastic flavor carrier.
The chicken itself is not a difficult to handle here either. It is not important that the skin has a particularly crispy consistency, but that the meat is beautifully juicy and the glaze is strong and spicy and coats the chicken with it.
Soy chicken and rice. Ingredients for 2 people:
|2 pieces||chicken breast|
|400ml||100ml Chicken broth|
|1 tbls.||chopped ginger|
|1 tbls.||chopped garlic|
|2 pieces||Star anise|
|1 tbls.||Chicken fat or goose fat|
|1 piece||Spring onion|
|2 tbsp||Roasted onions|
|1 tbls.||Oil for frying|
|1 tbls.||roasted sesame oil|
|1/2 tsp.||1 tbsp. Salt|
Soy chicken and rice. Here’s how it’s done:
- Bring the chicken broth, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, honey, cinnamon and star anise to a saucepan and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Clean the male chickens. Then place the corn chickens in the hot stock for 10 seconds, remove and leave to cool slightly. Repeat this process 3-4 times. This makes the skin beautifully smooth. Finally, place the chicken in an ovenproof bowl and pour over the stock, with the chicken completely covered. Cook the chicken in the oven at 80 degrees for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, melt the chicken fat in a saucepan. Finely chop the garlic and cut the leek onion into rings. Put the rice and garlic in the pot and toast. Then cover the rice with 400 ml of water. Add the salt and leek onion and simmer at a medium temperature under a closed lid until the rice is cooked.
- After 1 hour, remove the chicken from the rear. Put the stock in a saucepan and reduce to 100 ml. Then stir in the corn starch and bind the stock with it.
- Then heat a pan with a little oil. Roast the peanuts in it and add the Spargoli. Fry for 2 minutes. Season with sesame oil and salt.
- To arrange, glaze the chicken with the thickened back. Mix the roasted onions under the rice and place on a plate. Add the fried Spargoli. Then slice the chicken and place next to or on the rice. Maybe add some of the fond to it and serve.
This post is also available in: German